Friday, March 19, 2010

Blue Ribbon Bread

I've had this bread recipe for many years. In fact, it was the first bread I ever made, way back in 1976. Dave and I were newlyweds, living in Moscow, Idaho while Dave was in grad school.  I was learning how to cook, and when a friend brought us a loaf of this savory bread, I asked for the recipe and gave it a try.

We loved it, and a few months later, another friend suggested I make some and enter it in the county fair...

...which I did. And I won first prize in the specialty bread section, and I got a blue ribbon.
There was prize money too!!!
$1.50
Yes, you read that correctly. One dollar and fifty cents.

Even back then, that was pretty funny.

Wheat Germ Herb Bread
5 1/2-6 1/2 Cups unsifted unbleached Flour
1 tsp. Salt
1 tsp. Marjoram leaves, crushed
1 tsp.Thyme leaves, crushed
2 packets (or 5 tsp.) granular Yeast
1/3 C. Sugar
1 1/2 C. Milk
1/2 C. Water
1/2 C. Butter
2 whole Eggs
1 Egg Yolk
1 Egg White, beaten
1 1/3 C. Wheat Germ

In large mixer bowl with dough hook attachment, combine 3 cups flour, yeast, sugar, salt, and herbs. Mix well.
In saucepan, heat milk, water, and butter until warm. (120-130 degrees) (Butter doesn't need to melt)
Add to flour mixture. Add eggs and egg yolk. Blend at low speed until moistened. Beat 3 minutes at medium speed. Gradually stir in the wheat germ and enough flour to make a soft dough. Continue kneading for another 10 minutes, until smooth and elastic. Shape into ball and place in greased bowl, turning to grease top. Cover; let rise in warm place until light and doubled, about 1 hour. Punch down. Divide into 2 parts. Shape as desired into loaves. (I did mine in two twisted rings.)

Place in greased loaf pans (9x5x3) or on greased cookie sheet. Cover; let rise 30-40 minutes. Lightly brush with egg white. Sprinkle with 1 Tblsp. wheat germ. Bake in 350 degree oven for 35-45 minutes. (Cover with foil the last 5-10 minutes of baking. Remove  from pans and cool on rack.  Make 2 (1 1/2 lb) loaves.

(Try it toasted and served with your favorite soup and salad...yum!) 


Make it a Wonderful Day!

2 comments:

  1. That bread looks gorgeous. I'm on a low carb diet and that photo is killing me. Mmmmmmmm......... jan

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds great, I may give it a try.. I miss the german bread so much

    ReplyDelete