Thursday, September 23, 2010

Cilantro Pesto Marathon

I had some fresh basil that needed to be used up, so I thought I'd make pesto. But I also had some cilantro...okay, Basil Cilantro Pesto it is... or should it be Cilantro Basil Pesto? Either way, we loved it! The flavor was a little lighter and brighter than an all-basil pesto. We used it all week- if you don't want some at every meal, freeze it in small portions to add zip to your favorites recipes.

First, I used it to flavor up some homemade chicken vegetable soup.

 And then I tried it as a spread on crostinis topped with baby spinach and a grated Italian Cheese Blend...


And it was great with sliced fresh mozarella and tomatoes with a drizzle of balsamic vinegar...

(Love my thrifted placmat and plate from Value Village!)

 I didn't get a photo of the Pesto Pasta Chicken Bake... Or the yummy breakfast of scrambled eggs with asparagus, red onion, and pesto.  Or the last of it in the spinach soup. Delish in so many ways!

Cilantro Basil Pesto
1/2 Cup Pine Nuts, toasted
2 1/2 Cups Cilantro leaves
1 Cup Basil leaves
1-2 Tablespoons minced Garlic (I used the jarred kind this time, but fresh is great too)
2/3 Cup Olive Oil
3/4 Cup grated Pecorino Romano Cheese

Place nuts and herbs and garlic in food processor and pulse to chop. Add olive oil, pulsing to blend well. Add cheese and pulse. Add a small amount of olive oil if you'd like a smoother texture. Use right away for brightest color.Store tightly covered in the refrigerator. (If you plan on freezing, leave out the cheese until ready to use.)

1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh, that food looks amazing!!!!!!! Mmmmmm........ Thanks for sharing the recipe there. jan

    ReplyDelete